I currently have a server with a static IP address and setup DNS on it. I have my DNS server working correctly for my domain. I can create an A or CNAME record, restart BInd9 and it works. I have only had a problem with my "www" record. I have changed my zone file tons of times and it doesn't seem to work if I ping or go to www.mydomain.com.
Here is my zone file:
$TTL 14400 mydomain.com. IN SOA mydomain.com. randy.mydomain.com. ( 2013032600 ;Serial Number 86400 ;refresh 7200 ;retry 3600000 ;expire 86400 ;minimum ) mydomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.mydomain.com. mydomain.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.mydomain.com. mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 22.214.171.124 ro1 14400 IN A 126.96.36.199 ns1 14400 IN A 188.8.131.52 ns2 14400 IN A 184.108.40.206 dev 14400 IN A 220.127.116.11 randy 14400 IN A 18.104.22.168 test1 IN CNAME mydomain.com. www 14400 IN A 22.214.171.124
I'm new at Bind but looked at a lot of what was in the DNS at my current webhost.
The records dev, test1, and randy I created and they worked as soon as I restarted Bind9. I can ping "www.mydomain.com" from the server. But not from outside.