My girlfriend has to create a samba server to create file sharing possibilities between Ubuntu and multiple Windows 7 computers as a school project. Her teacher is unable to assist her, so I tried to help her a bit.
It could be that I am doing something wrong, but the computers just don't seem to connect, which could be caused by anything...
Summary of what I tried:
- Install Samba
- Setup the Server Settings (my Windows workgroup is just 'WORKGROUP' which is the default option)
After this I tried a myriad of things:
- Editing the Samba config file to share a folder (as per the official Ubuntu guide)
- using the Samba GUI to share a folder
- adding new users to samba
- Checking if my file and printer sharing option on Windows is enabled
- and a lot more which I probably forgot I did
After all this, the Windows computers still don't recognize the file share. It does not show up on the network and running the IP-adres also does not work.
Does anybody have a simple step by step guide on how to create a Samba server to use with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. It only has to be a simple server, with a enabled password and some files in it. If there is better software than Samba for this job, please let me know and thanks for the help!