I want to install Ubuntu server from a CD but it doesn't say anything about partitions or anything. How does that work? Does it even use a partition and if so which one will it use and will it ruin the data on that or any other partition? Or can is there a way I can just run it from my desktop? I didn't see any links other than the one for the .iso file.
- Installation of the server version is non graphical.
- You will be prompted for partitioning with a text based partitioner. Examples screens:
- Of course it uses a partition.
- It will use the one you tell it to use.
- It will do with data what you tell it to do. Delete a partition and the data on that partition is gone. Same if you format a partition.
- You do not run it from a desktop; you run the CD/DVD and install from there. And it is text based; not a graphical interface like the desktop version.
But of course you start by making a backup of the files you deem important. That will make it possible to get your files back in place if you make a mistake.