How can set Unity as desktop environment for an user created with Shell?
On a VM running Ubuntu 12.04 configured as LAMP, I need to use the desktop environment Unity for the user www-data.
I need this to simplify files permission management while developing with PhpStorm, so when I save a file it already has www-data:www-data as group:owner. (maybe there's a better solution than work as www-data in Unity, if yes please tell me)
I couldn't find any automatic way to add an existing user to Unity, maybe I searched with the wrong terms, so I tried a dirty manual way and these are the steps I did, some are optional but useful in my case:
1) changed home directory of www-data from '/var/www' to '/home/www-data':
sudo usermod -d /home/www-data www-data
2) changed shell of www-data from sh to bash:
sudo chsh -s /bin/bash www-data
3) set a password for www-data
sudo passwd www-data
4) since I already had a well configured desktop environment for another user 'ian', I copied existing user 'ian' home dir to www-data home dir, preserving permissions and than changing group and owner:
sudo cp -a /home/ian/. /home/www-data/ sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /home/www-data
5) added www-data to sudoers:
sudo usermod -aG sudo www-data
6) added www-data to the same groups of ian
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,dip,plugdev,sambashare,lpadmin www-data
7) configured the greeter to show manual login:
sudo echo 'greeter-show-manual-login=true' >> /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
8) rebooted the VM
Actually I can login with www-data and I have the same desktop environment as user ian but I can't see www-data in the list of available users of the greeter and also in the list of 'User Accounts'. Only ian is displayed.
I also tried to set minimum-uid=0 in /etc/lightdm/users.conf with no luck. I am missing something, any idea?