I have the following setup:
- A home server running Ubuntu Server 12.04
- A D-Link DSL-2780 capable of Dynamic DNS routing to www.dyndns.org, www.no-ip.com, zoneedit.com
- A domain purchased with Gandi.com which does not run a dynamic dns service but does have 'DNS Zones'
I've done a bit of reading about how to connect my IP - and thus presumably my home server - to my pre-purchased domain name. Some suggest installing a custom script which will communicate with the gandi zone files via the API and auto update. Others (possibly out of date) suggest using a free service provided by dynDNS or no-ip.
- I'm retisant to install any more code on my server than I have to in the spirit of trying to be secure whilst I learn as much as I can about what every line does. So preferably an external service would be good (correct me if I'm being stupid here).
- I can't seem to find a 'free Dynamic DNS service' that applies to me in the way these guides state. Perhaps I am confused but no-ip.com but as my domain ends in
.co.ukI only seem to be able to use the paid for services (which I don't object to but would then prefer to start shopping around).
Might someone let me know if times have moved on and free services for
.co.uk are currently not available, or if I'm likely misunderstanding something about managing hosts / domains.
I then assume once i've resolved this it should be as simple as pointing my router to my DNS account, which in turn will point to my gandi-domain, thus allowing me to get to my home server via my domain name!