I'd like to add left Ctrl+right Ctrl to the switch-windows keybinding. Is there a way to distinguish between the left Ctrl and right Ctrl keys when typing that command? Maybe something like:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-windows "['<Alt>Tab','<LControl><RControl>']"

However, that command doesn't work. I was wondering if there are actually key names specifically for the left Ctrl and the right Ctrl keys.

If you're curious why I'd want to do this, I have a Kinesis keyboard, and its default layout makes one stretch their left hand to hit Alt+Tab.

1 Answer 1

  • Edit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc

    sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
  • Remove Control_R from Control binding.Put // to comment original line and make new one with Control_L only:

    //modifier_map Control{ Control_L, Control_R };
    modifier_map Control{ Control_L };
  • Then use System Settings → Keyboard → Shortcuts → Navigation to set it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.