How would I be able to perform a minimal install of xubuntu for a PowerPC?

My computer cannot read DVD's, and the xubuntu iso file is 744MB (I can't burn it to a CD).

Is it possible to burn it to a CD?


Try the minimal CD from here (choose the powerpc options) - when booting from the CD, use the option "install" and follow and accept the text prompts. Eventually you will be offered a selection of stuff to install - one of which is xubuntu.

Remember to be connected to the internet via a wired connection - the minimal CD downloads all its stuff from the internet.

  • 1
    I need xubuntu, not ubuntu.
    – alexyorke
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:23
  • Yes I know - its an option to install from the same CD - I've just done something similar to install xubuntu from the minimal CD into a virtualbox guest.
    – fossfreedom
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:27
  • I didn't notice that. Whoops on my part. +1
    – alexyorke
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:52
  • Funny, I typed this same suggestion (minus a link) - and the site wouldn't let me post my answer?
    – RolandiXor
    Apr 29 '11 at 23:12

I'm not sure where you got your .iso from. Mine is 687.8MB from the Xubuntu home-page and fits on a CD.

Try downloading the file from the main Xubuntu page here and burning that .iso to CD instead. All of the official Ubuntu derivatives work to keep the disk size small enough for CD's, so unless something is very wrong, you should be fine to burn that to a CD.

  • The links on the web-page appear to be for intel - the question is from a user with a PowerPC
    – fossfreedom
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:24
  • 1
    alexy13 - amd64 is the intel 64bit edition
    – fossfreedom
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:46
  • Sigh. Great. I'll have to download a different version.
    – alexyorke
    Apr 29 '11 at 22:49
  • Sorry, I missed the part about ppc when answering this :/ May 2 '11 at 18:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.