I'm having a very tough time dual booting with Ubuntu 13.10/OS X Mavericks on my Macbook Pro 8,2. Before this is closed as a duplicate, I've tried all popular solutions I could find to no avail, hopefully someone may be able to point out the error of my ways.
Problem: rEFIt's gpt sync tool, as well as gptsync 0.14-2 both report "GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk", even after following the recommended(1) solution found in this post.
Steps I follow (hopefully someone can recognize one of these as incorrect):
- Installed rEFIt from .pkg. Reboot/Login to mac twice. rEFIt menu seen second time.
- Created 2nd Mac OS X Journaled Filesystem with Disk Utility, while shrinking the original.
- Reboot into Ubuntu installer and start the installer's partition tool.
- Delete 2nd Mac partition. Create ext4 partition /dev/sda3 taking up all but 2GB of remaining space.
- Create /dev/sda4 swap with remaining 2GB
- Choose /dev/sda3 for bootloader installer (can someone confirm this is correct? I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions. Other option being /dev/sda, which I understand to be NOT what you should do since it will break OS X boot)
- Run installer and reboot. Tux shows up in the menu, but freezes on load when choosing this option.
- Try to run the rEFIt sync tool, and the MBR looks correct, recognizing /dev/sda3 as as Linux Partition, but /dev/sda3 is *Unknown* in GPT.
At this point I'm pretty much I'm at a loss. I attempted running the gptsync script recommended in the solution above to no avail. In addtion, I've tried manually rebuilding the hybrid MBR with gdisk on the Mac side (2), but again - MBR looks fine, GPT has /dev/sda3 as *Unkown*. Running the Tux option from rEFIt after this option actually pulls up a grub recovery console, but it says it's missing the filesystem.
Could anyone steer me in the right direction? Should I be using a different partitioning tool? Where should the linux bootloader be installed?
(1) I'd link to this, but I don't have 10 reputation. Found here: help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation