My laptop's "m" key doesn't work anymore and I want to know how to re-map it. In example: to make it work with the AltGr or any other key that I don't use that much.


P.S. Ubuntu is working normally but the "m" key is broken in my keyboard so I have to copy/paste it in order to write and it is tedious. Thanks in advance for your help.

marked as duplicate by Mitch, Kevin Bowen, Glutanimate, Seth, Eric Carvalho Aug 23 '13 at 1:04

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


You may want to check XKeyCaps utility launchpad page.

XKeyCaps is a GUI application (a front end for xmodmap) which does exactly what you want to do with the help of an on screen keyboard where you can remap keys.

You can also find video on YouTube runing the application on Ubuntu demonstrating its use.

  • be pleased your help, but when you start xkeycaps and choose the keyboard type mine is not on the list because it is a notebook PC keyboards only come look this --> i.imgbox.com/adtmVdf7.png – Eduardo Pech Aug 21 '13 at 22:51
  • You can try some of the layouts to find a matching one. – Stef K Aug 21 '13 at 23:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.