I could not find an appropriate driver for the printer. Tried other Canon drivers; a generic Postscript and generic PCL5/6 but when I send a print job, the printer wakes up but does not print. The same happens when using wireless or USB connection. Other Canon printers work just fine.
Install the driver from Canon (ver 3.90). Oddly, it shows up on its Asia site, but not on its US site. This worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty.
This driver was also linked by this Technosophy blog
The official drivers from Canon are here:
- IJ Printer Driver - http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100517002.html
- ScanGear MP Driver - http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100518302.html
For some reason, these drivers are only available on the Asia site.
Here's what appeared to fix it for me, a total noob, (I don't know which parts of this procedure may be red herrings):
- Download the driver from the canon-asia site, the US one did not have it.
- Unzip the tar.gz (I thought it was weird that the driver is not a .deb file, it is just a folder that ends in -deb)
- But I cd'd into that folder, and did sudo ./install.sh
Then in synaptic package manager I made sure that all these were installed:
Then when I reinstalled my printer for the 100th time, it gave me a Model called Canon MX920 series PS+Gutenprint v5.3.3.
Hope that helps somebody.