I have installed an application for data recovery called "R studio" (rstudio 2.0.377). Now I want to install another unrelated application for an IDE of R programming language also called "R studio" (rstudio 0.97.551), by opening its .deb file in software center, but the software center says "A later version already installed", and I can't find a way to proceed. How can I install them both on my Ubuntu 12.04? Thanks!
As far as I can see both deb install different files and folder... but the problem could be that these applications have the same name in the "control" file under the debian package.
You can try changing the name of the package, open a Terminal when you have the deb package and type the following:
- Unpack the rstudio-0.97.551-amd64.deb in a temp folder.
dpkg-deb -x rstudio-0.97.551-amd64.deb tempdeb
dpkg-deb --control rstudio-0.97.551-amd64.deb tempdeb/DEBIAN
- Go to the tempdeb/DEBIAN folder en edit the file "control" and change the name of the package from "rstudio" to "rstudio-ide"
- Repack the .deb, in this case with other name.
dpkg -b tempdeb new-rstudio-ide-0.97.551-amd64.deb
- As the Web site says.. you need to install r-base
sudo apt-get install r-base
- Then you can install the new deb package
sudo dpkg -i new-rstudio-ide-0.97.551-amd64.deb
You should have both applications installed and running...
To remove this package use this command:
sudo dpkg --purge rstudio-ide
Hope this will helpful.