I've just installed AWN and I want to customize it: I don't like the look of dialect applet.

How do I change it's appearance? It would be great if I can change from flags to just letters.

  • not sure if that's a Ubuntu related question.. – Paulius Šukys Aug 23 '13 at 8:22
  • 1
    @shookees - AWN is a third-party piece of software available either directly via 12.04 in the repo or via PPA in later versions. Yes its on-topic. – fossfreedom Aug 23 '13 at 8:23

Changing the flag

I've got a british keyboard layout and hence AWN with the dialect icon looks like this:


You can with a bit of graphics editing change the flag to text - for example:


As you can see the "keyboard" dialect icon now has "GB"

All of the flags pictures are found in the folder /usr/share/avant-window-navigator/applets/dialect/icons

Look for your flag using your file-manager and find the file-name. For me, the british flag is gb.png.

Lets backup this image first:

sudo cp /usr/share/avant-window-navigator/applets/dialect/icons/gb.png ~/

This will copy the file to your home folder.

Next using your favourite editor - mine is Gimp, create an image that is 60x40 px in size.

Make sure that the background colour is set to transparent - you can do this in Gimp when creating a new image by clicking the advanced options.

Then add your text to the new transparent image - here I used bold font SANs 24px.

Export your image as gb.png to your pictures folder.

Then overwrite your old image with your new image i.e.

sudo cp ~/Pictures/gb.png /usr/share/avant-window-navigator/applets/dialect/icons/gb.png

To refresh your dialect icon - remove the applet and re-add it.

drag and drop

Don't forget - changing the actual base icon is simple as well...

Changing the icon in AWN is a drag-and-drop away:


Thus you can both have a text based "flag" as well as a brand new icon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.