I am making Debian packages containing wallpapers that I want to sell through Canonical (https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/). Canonical does not (that I have found) list allowed licenses for wallpapers that are to be sold through Canonical. What licenses are permitted for wallpapers to be sold?

  • By extension, what licenses are allowed for any paid or free, or open source software through the App Developer portal? The documentation is beyond pathetic in that even after ten minutes hunting, the document it refers to does not exist. – Oli Jun 18 '13 at 14:23

As I already point out in my comment, the documentation isn't currently going to help you.

I would go in with the assumption that you can license a wallpaper under the same terms as most software (in that you can hold copyright, or a license to redistribute it and you can give people a license for it - this is all true in most civilised parts of the world) but you should confirm directly with Canonical that they'll accept a paid wallpaper package before you do anything.

That you're asking the question suggests that you might be thinking of a non-traditional license. Perhaps if you can expand on that, you might get a better answer... But if you're thinking of a "standard" commercial software license, I think you'll be fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.