I intend to make some changes to XFS filesystem. I have never done this before. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 kernel 3.2.0-40-generic-pae
Is there a documentation on the steps involved in doing so? I tried google but found nothing of much use. I have a rough understanding of the steps involved (see below), but I am looking for a detailed description so that I don't get stuck on simple things.
Steps in my mind:
- Download the source of XFS for my kernel version (using apt-get install linux-source ...)
- Make changes to the source file
- compile only the modified source code of XFS (When I tried to "make" it asked for some conf file, which I am not sure where I can get from) (do I have to recompile the whole kernel or just XFS is fine?)
- rmmod the xfs module and then insmod the xfs module so that changes are reflected in the system.
- create a new partition, format it with XFS and test if things are alright after my changes.
Looking forward to some useful pointers.
Its OK if the pointers are for some other FS like ext3 or 4 as I believe the details would not vary from FS to FS.