I just installed Ubuntu and after some struggles I have a GUI! However, on startup, it won't accept my password. Some more info:
- I set it to "Login automatically" during install.
- During the install I defined 3 things: Name (First Last), Login (one short string), and Password.
- In the terminal, I can log in, and it asks for 2 things: First Login, then Password.
- When the GUI starts up, it displays my First and Last name (no mention of my Login), and asks for a password. It won't accept the one I've been using. If I switch to the terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1, I can log in, but when I hit Ctrl-Alt-F7, it's still waiting for a password. It won't accept a blank. The other options, aside from my name, are Guest Session and Remote Login.
- Interesting behavior to note: If enter something wrong, I get a spinning ball of dots, and the message "Invalid password. Please try again." However, if I use the password I've been using in the terminal, it goes black, appears to be moving on, and then returns as it was, asking for password. So this problem seems deeper than a non-recognized password.
- Something else to note, which may/may not be related: If I choose Guest Session, after a few seconds the screen gets corrupted and is unusable.