All of a sudden there's this message of 'couldn't load plug-in' on chrome. Firefox is fine though, I tried updating flashplayer but it didn't work. Thoughts?
I solved the issue by moving the following folder to a backup:
~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash moved to
After that kill all processes of Chrome (also the background ones for offline gmail and so on).
It works now for me. Must have to do something with the new rule that you have to enable plugins per page/site before they run maybe?
- Open up Google Chrome
- Type chrome://plugins into the address bar
- Look for Adobe Flash Player
- Click on +Details in the upper right corner
- Disable one of the Adobe Flash Player entries, and make sure one is Enabled
If you have installed the package
flashplugin-installer you'll see two plug-ins, you can choose whichever you want.
For some reason it was disabled and at the beggining of the list you can also see another
libpepflashplayer which is also disabled.
I can't seem to add a comment to Uri Herrara's answer, or even up vote it. But he set me on the right track.
Ubuntu installed a new image and Chrome, and the
libpepflashplayer.so Flash player is not working. I disabled it, and the
Name: Shockwave Flash Version: 11.2 r202 Location: /opt/google/chrome/plugins/libflashplayer.so
is working fine
Don't know why, but the pepperflash plugin used by chrome seems to be crashing recently. Removing the plugin completely will do the trick temporarily, but will be recreated automatically at some point in time, probably after a relaunch of the browser or something.
rm -fr ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash
This is the command to remove the plugin. Launching chrome thereafter should allow you to play flash via it defaulting back to the default adobe plugin.
If you don't want to go around blowing away directories, you can rename it:
mv ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash.bak
It works too.
Again, just a temporary work around, but it works in a pinch until they fix PepperFlash.
Well got lucky. Did the following after closing both browsers. Go to a terminal and:
rm -r ~/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash
Then open any of the 2 browsers and go to their respective plugins section.
For Firefox it is in the menu in Tools --> Addons --> Plugins and check to be sure that the Shockwave Plugin is Enabled. Then test any flash video.
For Chrome, type in the URL:
chrome://plugins and check that the plugin is checked there as Always Enabled.
Right now am testing to make sure both are working fine.
UPDATE - Yeap, both are working correctly again. Maybe it was an update that left a confusion there with the PepperFlash file.