I'm trying to understand how Gconf, Dconf and Gsettings works and what the relationship is between them.
All I know is:
- Gconf - XML based database (backend system). The older one.
- Dconf - BLOB based database (backend system). The newer one.
- Gsettings - CLI tool to edit settings. Looks like it works only with Dconf (although I saw somewhere that it might work with Gconf).
I know that for Gconf there is a GUI - Gconf-editor, and for Dconf - Dconf-editor.
- Which backend system is more often used - Dconf or Gconf?
- Gsettings works with both of them? And why doesn't it show all Dconf schemas?
- Where does Dconf save its data?