I'm installing a SSD and to save space I want to move my user folder to another drive, is there a way to do that?


From Terminal type this:

sudo mkdir /mnt/tmp
sudo mount /dev/sdb1/ /mnt/tmp

which will allow you to temporarily mount the new partition, assuming /sdb1 as new partition for HOME.

sudo rsync -avx /home/ /mnt/tmp

This will copy HOME to new location.

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home

This will mount the new partition as HOME and makes sure all data is present.

sudo umount /home  

This will unmount the new partion.

rm -rf /home/*  

This deletes the old HOME.

To make HOME permanent you need to know the UUID of the new partition for the fstab entry. you can get that by giving command:

sudo blkid

Note down the UUID and use the same to change fstab .

sudo nano /etc/fstab   

Now add the following at the end.

UUID=<noted number from above>    /home    ext4    defaults   0  2

NOTE: You need to select the exact file system that was formatted(for example ext4 as chosen here).

Now you can Resart your computer to see the new HOME.

| improve this answer | |

Copy all the files from your /home to another drive
Change the /etc/fstab entry to point /home to that drive
If you don't how, reply. I will provide a shell script to do that.

| improve this answer | |
  • if you got the script I'll take it :) – zShell Jan 11 '13 at 6:43
  • May I know how to do it with the script? The above answer didn't work for me. Hoping to try yours. – TechyTee Jan 18 '16 at 8:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.