Is it possible to force all application windows to open at a specific resolution (i.e. a set specific size like 1280x720 pixels)?
Yes, though it doesn't work very well.
- Install ccsm,
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager(note ccsm is pretty buggy).
- Start ccsm, go to the window management section
- Enable "Window Rules"
- In the options for "Window Rules", choose the "Size rules" tab
- Click new, then the +
- Choose your window (by class is usually best but it takes some experementing)
- Set your width and height.
- Apply everything and enjoy your fixed window heights.