Possible Duplicate:
How to delete/edit files from readonly filesystem

i have a memory card (MS-DOS file system I believe) which I want to delete ALL the files in it.
Even though I use sudo rm -fr * I still get

Read-only file system

For the files in the memory card folder.
How do I remove all the files? (Or maybe just format it?)

marked as duplicate by Lekensteyn, Tom Brossman, Mitch, Christopher Kyle Horton, Jjed Sep 3 '12 at 19:00

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Sometimes the memory cards have a tiny switch on the side to lock them as read-only, can you check and see if this is the issue? Also, be very careful deleting files with sudo and the * character, things can go very wrong very quickly if you mis-type anything. – Tom Brossman Sep 3 '12 at 17:01
  • No, the lock switch is in the right place, and this card is no longer functional (due to space) so, I can't really damage it more.. – Itay Moav -Malimovka Sep 3 '12 at 17:02
  • @ItayMoav Have you tried putting it in a card-reader and formatting it with gnome-disk-utility? – user76204 Sep 3 '12 at 17:15
  • Did it windows machine. This is actually a duplicate as first comments suggests, although the solution there did not help me. – Itay Moav -Malimovka Sep 3 '12 at 17:20

How to delete an SD CARD


... try the "dd" command. It securely overwrites all with zeros. First, get the device by :

sudo fdisk -l Your device will be something like sdX. (sdX --> only an example device name)

and be sure to identify the right device. Then use "dd" to overwrite the sd card with ZEROs:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

While dd is working on your sd card, you won't see a progress bar , so wait until dd has finished :o)

alternatively try this "shred" command (it takes time !!!):

sudo shred -vfz -n 100 /dev/sdX

You will find here an example, how to use "shred" with sd cards.

Kind regards

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.