I'm wondering how to move the focused tab around, to right or left, using a keyboard shortcut in 12.04?

After a Google search I found the shortcut Ctrl + (L/R)Arrows, but it seems to work only in Windows, not in Ubuntu.

Any ideas?


Firefox 19 added shortcuts to move tabs:

  • Ctrl+Shift+PgUp to move left, and
  • Ctrl+Shift+PgDn to move right.

The change is recorded as bug #364845; here is the specific commit that added the shortcuts.

Therefore, the Move Tabs extension is no longer required; in fact, if you have it installed you should disable it (or else the shortcut will move the tab twice).

However, there is still no built-in shortcut to move the current tab to the start or end. If you need those shortcuts, keep the extension and in its preferences set the left/right shortcuts to something you don't use.


Define your own shortcuts to move the tabs into Firefox. You can move the tabs along the tab bar and at both ends.1

That can be done with an add-on, that allows you to define your own shortcuts to move the tabs into Firefox. Click on the link, to install this Add-On. Once installed, restart Firefox, go into add-on, and click on Preferences, to set the shortcuts. Close the window, and you're set.

enter image description here

Notice that the Move tab is the last one, and in the second image it moved to the first tab.

enter image description here

1Source:Mozilla Add-ons

  • 1
    This is not to move tabs, but to change the current tab. I wanna know how to move. For example: the current tab is the 4th, and I want it to be the 3rd. The only possible way I can do is moving with the mouse, and I was wondering if there is a shortcut for that.
    – Alexandre
    Aug 23 '12 at 21:19
  • @Alexandre have tried it and it works.
    – Peachy
    Aug 24 '12 at 10:58
  • That “Move Tabs” extension is gone. The Move Tab Hotkeys extension works for me (Firefox 82). Oct 14 '20 at 0:08

This extension for Firefox claims to move the focused tab forwards and backwards, respectively, with Ctrl+Shift+Page Up and Ctrl+Shift+Page Down.

Moving the focused tab to the start or end, respectively, can be done with Ctrl+Shift+Home and Ctrl+Shift+End

Mozilla Support says that Ctrl+Up Arrow or Ctrl+Left Arrow moves the focused tab left and similarly for right. This, however, did not work for me (Firefox 14.0.1, Ubuntu 12.04LTS).


In Firefox 35 I can cycle through tabs by ctrl + tab and ctrl + shift + tab.

ctrl + pgup/pgdown move the tab which is kinda cool for organization.

  • 1
    I confirmed that this works on Mac OS El Capitan with Firefox 53.0
    – user674669
    May 5 '17 at 4:12
  • Specifcally, on a Mac it's: Fn + up/down arrow + ctrl + shift to move a tab. (fn + up/down arrow gets you the "page up" or "page down"). Oct 2 '18 at 18:11

Firefox on Dell XPS 15, Ubuntu 18: Ctrl-Fn-PgUp/PgDn


According to the relevant part of Mozilla's official list of keyboard shortcuts:

Move tab in focus left:     Ctrl + Shift + PgUp
Move tab in focus right:    Ctrl + Shift + PgDn     
Move tab in focus to start: Ctrl + Home     
Move tab in focus to end:   Ctrl + End

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.