Is there a 'Startup applications' app for lubuntu?
Or how do I add apps to startup? I attempted a tutorial to add entries to
~/.config/autostart, but it did not work. Isn't there an easy way? Any ideas please?
There is a default application for this on the Lubuntu. Check it out:
- Press the Lubuntu icon on the bottom left;
- Select "Preferences" > "Default applications for LXSession";
- In the opened window, select the option "Autostart";
- Now you can enable or disable the autostarted applications, check/uncheck one in the listm or set manually on the field and pressing the "Add" button.
You can install the programm
lxsession-edit from the software center. It will give you an interface like the "startup applications" app.
Or you can add programs by editing the file
/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. (In new Lubuntu is path
To do this press Alt+F2 and type
Or the cleanest way (that didn't work for you) adding .desktop files to
/home/username/.config/autostart and make sure they're marked as executables.
Here is a default syntax for a
.desktop file with some of the most important entries.
[Desktop Entry] Type=Application Encoding=UTF-8 Name="NAME OF THE APPLICATION" Comment="WHAT DOES THE APP DO?" Exec="EXECUTABLE PATH OF APPLICATION" Hidden=false NoDisplay=false Terminal=false
[Desktop Entry] Type=Application Encoding=UTF-8 Name=Firefox Comment=Firefox Web Browser Exec=firefox Hidden=false NoDisplay=false Terminal=false
For applications that have their binaries in
/usr/bin, you don't have to put the full path, just the name of the executable.
Log out and back in and it should have worked.
You should be able to add the .desktop file to the directory you listed:
Did you log out and back in?
The easiest way I have found to do this is to:
- Open up PCmanFM and go to
- Find the application you're looking for and copy it.
- Open up
- Paste in the application you copied.
Once you log back in, it should be working. If it's not, it may be a question of the app, not the autostart process. Which app are you trying to autostart? Maybe we can help you better with more details.