Just installing Ubuntu for the first time, glad to ditch Win 7. I have a KVM switch and also a Mac, hence I'm using a Mac keyboard (the full size alu one)

Main problem is the Enter key on the keypad doesn't work. I checked the keyboard layout (set to 'English UK Macintosh')... inspecting the layout the Enter key is mapped to something called 'Level' - WTF is 'Level'?

Everything else about the keyboard works great ie the £ $ # @ " are all perfect, volume control works as expected... why this weird key mapping on the Enter key?

More importantly... how do I change it to work as an Enter key ?

  • ok, I found that this will fix it temporarily: sudo /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 104 = KP_Enter' but after I logout and login the old mapping is back. Anyone know how to make this permanent? More to the point, could some Ubuntu dev just fix the source keyboard mapping...!
    – Anentropic
    Jun 10, 2012 at 22:51

1 Answer 1


Ok the following seems to have fixed it permanently for me:

> /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 104 = KP_Enter'
> xmodmap -pke > ~/.Xmodmap

I shouldn't have to do this, someone please fix the English (UK, Macintosh) keyboard layout (for full-size aluminium Mac keyboard) that comes with Ubuntu 12 and save others this annoyance...

  • If you want some developer to fix the bug, you will need to open a bug report, see: askubuntu.com/questions/5121/how-do-i-report-a-bug Jun 11, 2012 at 7:10
  • I'm wondering if KP_Enter is actually what you want--Return may be a more useful key code; I recently have had a problem with the fact that my enter key maps to KP_Enter when numlock is on and Return when numlock is off, and KP_Enter doesn't work in all situations...
    – TJ Ellis
    Jan 12, 2013 at 15:34
  • Enter and Return have different meanings for some programs (eg Sublime Text 2) so I particularly needed an Enter key
    – Anentropic
    Jan 13, 2013 at 16:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .