I am having a typical linux experience:
- I have ubuntu "studio linux" 22.04 LTS but don't know what the "S" in "LTS" refers to.
- I bought a usb wifi dongle with "linux" written on the packaging(NW621), but should have known what to expect.
- I find the included pdf instructions fail to mention linux at all.
- The "drivers" are on the included CD but nowhere can I find information about what to actually do with the files. Is it supposed to be obvious?
- Then I search the internet to find enough support threads about this chipset or whatever to wallpaper my entire house but no straight forward instructions which I can understand or which actually work.
- As is always the case with linux I have little choice but to clutch at straws typing all kinds of commands I don't understand into a terminal probably making things worse. Many of the suggestions result in "command not found" errors.
- now I resort to adding yet another "duplicate" post asking how to "install" this consumer hardware device.
- meanwhile I wonder why Windows needs no information whatsoever from me while linux insists on a song and dance/wild goose chase. lsusb says it's a RTL88x2bu iwconfig says "no wireless extensions" lsusb says it's a RTL88x2bu dkms status says "rtl8812au/22.214.171.12475.20140902+dfsg, 5.15.0-73-lowlatency, x86_64: installed" so some sort of "clone" command has done something? make took a while. Is it "compiling"? modprobe: FATAL: Module rtl8812au not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.0-73-lowlatency
modprobe: FATAL: Module 88x2bu not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.0-73-lowlatency
I actually bought two adapters,the other is a NM602. When plugged in it is not recognised at all.
I copied the CD's "linux" folder to the computer. It has directories: core hal include os_dep platform and files: rtl8822b.mk runwpa wlan0dhcp clean ifcfg-wlan0 Kconfig Makefile but not one word about what these files are or what I am supposed to do with them. The file manager says some are shell scripts, some are text files and some are build files. What I am supposed to make of it? Am I better off asking an AI?