I'm a noob to Linux and packages, not to mention websites and databases, however, I've followed this guide and completed all steps successfully and have a working wordpress site that I can access via the web, the tutorial I followed can be found here.
System info: Linux 5.19.0-21-generic, Ubuntu 22.10
I am connected via SSH into my machine and via the terminal I've installed and set up the following:
- MariaDB/MySQL (I don't really understand the difference or why both are installed)
- Additional config steps as displayed in the video (chown on a folder, database rights for new wordpress user etc)
Now when attempting to mess around with plugins for word press and troubleshooting, there are things that I want to view in the MySQL database but navigating via query's is difficult as I have no experience. I understand I should be able to use /phpmyadmin to navigate it via a GUI so naturally I followed other guides to install phpmyadmin and configure without knowing if it was already set up or not. Mid way through configuration after choosing the following options:
- Yes (Configure common database?)
- SQL application password (I set it's password to a new one I generated?)
- Password confirm
- apache2 (Web server to reconfigure automatically)
I'm then slapped with an access error while installing the database:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) . Your options are:
- abort - Causes the operation to fail; you will need to downgrade, reinstall... etc
- retry - Prompts once more with all the configuration questions... etc
- retry (skip questions) - Immediately attempts the operation again, skipping all questions... etc
- ignore - Continues the operation ignoring dbconfig-common errors. This will usually leave this package without a functional database... etc
This is nothing important and so in my attempt to rapid fire the situation I tried all options and tried to look into the MySQL user accounts (I've just been using root but did change it's default password which was blank) but I am still stuck and I am afraid my phpmyadmin configuration is in a terrible state but I am unsure how to start from scratch. Preferably I'd just like to reinstall phpmyadmin without having to redo MySQL/Apache2/Wordpress and hopefully learn what I've done incorrectly so I can take corrective actions manually.
I have also tried to follow, what appears to be, the same issue I am having here but the corrective config lines did not help me at all.