Is it a way to put DeadBeef to sound menu instead of Rhythmbox?


enter image description here

how to

First install deadbeef - you should check the authors launchpad website for precompiled versions of deadbeef. At the time of writing this, no 12.10 or later version was available:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexey-smirnov/deadbeef
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install deadbeef 

add deadbeef to sound indicator

Using dconf-editor you can add deadbeef to the sound indicator:

enter image description here

add volume control options

To add the volume controls you need to compile from the MPRIS plugin from source.

important note - this was highly unstable for me on 64bit ubuntu causing deadbeef to continually crash and I dont recommend you do so.

sudo apt-get install deadbeef-plugins-dev git

Next download the mpris plugin source from github

git clone https://github.com/kernelhcy/DeaDBeeF-MPRIS-plugin.git
cd DeaDBeeF-MPRIS-plugin
sudo make install

If you want to remove Rhythmbox from the sound indicator then the linked Q&A will help

Linked Questions:

| improve this answer | |
  • Your instructions are out-of-date. The PPA does not support 12.10 and the MPRIS plugin is no longer available on SourceForge. Can you please update your post with a working method to install the MPRIS plugin? – Dune Dec 4 '12 at 17:43
  • 1
    @Dune - updated - however you should note, no 12.10 version exists. – fossfreedom Dec 4 '12 at 22:38
  • Thank you very much! If I can help it I don't want to build this plugin from source. If you've already built the plugin, would you mind uploading the .so file somewhere? I am using the x64 version of DeadBeeF on 12.10 x64. – Dune Dec 6 '12 at 0:45
  • Does this still work? I noticed this answer is 8 years old, I want to make sure it's not obsolete before I screw with the dconf. – CtrlAltF2 May 11 at 15:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.