I appear to have run into a spot of trouble hopping desktop environments.
I was originally on Gnome (or Ubuntu’s variant therein), and wanted to get access to KDEConnect (it occurs to me belatedly I could have likely built it from source), which sadly was outdated and was incompatible with the version on my phone. Regardless, after switching to Plasma (and kubuntu) I ran into issues with black screening when I set any applications to full screen (notably VLC player and browsers), so after getting fed up with that I decided to switch back.
The only issue was that every time I tried to switch from the login screen to anything other than plasma it would crash and leave me back in the login screen.
I thought this would be more related to having multiple DEs installed simultaneously than broken packages as such, so I removed plasma, and auto removed any related files, only to have my DE crash so I restarted my computer, only to find myself unable to boot to a desktop session at all.
A few oddities about my install that may help track down my issue:
- I do have self compiled Mesa drivers lying around somewhere and I believe an alternate version from the default listed in my repositories. (Long story. I like poking around them for a bit of light reading)
- I have multiple DEs installed, somehow, though none of them seem “active”. This includes multiple versions and permutations of Ubuntu with different windowing systems.
- even when I was on Gnome I never got a menu to select multiple DEs in the login screen (maybe related?)
- I may have legacy files from about the last three years, as this is still my first install from when I was just learning Linux.
What I learned, that it may be of use to someone else:
- Remove packages when you’re done with them.
- Buy an AMD Gpu if possible
- Don’t hop DEs or distros; test in a VM and do a fresh install if you like them.
- Don’t put off reinstalling your build after you know enough to make fewer beginner mistakes the next time around.
- Don’t switch DEs for a single application.
A final note: I’m using an rtx2060 with a 4K display I keep at a lower resolution (1080p) for all it may be relevant, and I am willing to reinstall from scratch if needed, though given that involves backing up a boot drive to my hard drive, which I would prefer to do graphically, I would prefer to restore my desktop environment first. I’ve also already followed the guide at google.com/amp/s/ubunlog.com/en/how-to-reinstall-in-graphic-when-the-desktop-won’t-load (you’ll have to forgive me for my berevity in not hand typing the 50 or so random characters that come after that), and numerous other pieces of advice.
Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.