I am switching several Computers from Windows to Ubuntu 20.04 and have a problem with a very, very old SMB Server i have to connect to. That Server is running Samba V2.2.5 and is configured to use ISO8859-15 as a charset for all files and drives on this server. I cannot change the configuration of that server because several windows clients are connecting to it.
After several days of try&error i managed to mount that SMB share on my Ubuntu 20.04 client with the following command:
sudo smbmount //192.168.224.16/jw /mnt -o username=jw,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0,uid=1000,gid=1000,nounix
Yes, i know sec=ntlm is really, really obsolete, and yes, i know vers=1.0 is really, really obsolete, too. Nevertheless this is the only protocol combination i found out to work connecting to this ancient server.
The only problem left is the conversion of german Umlauts in Filenames. If i ls a directory on that server it looks like:
drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Mai 10 2015 . drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Sep 30 16:32 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Jul 1 2020 W007D_Dokumente drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Mär 21 2020 W007L_Leiterplatten drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Feb 19 2015 W007S_Software drwxr-xr-x 2 jochen jochen 0 Mär 21 2020 'W007Z_Zusammenf'$'\201''gungen'
The last directory should be "W007Z_Zusammenfügungen". I tried several "iocharset="-Options when mounting - no difference at all. I tried "codepage="-Options when mounting - seems to be obsolete and not used any longer.
locale on the Ubuntu client shows:
jochen@HP8510W-3:~$ locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=de_DE:en LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_ALL=
Thankful for all support i can get!