I recently purchased an Area 51m R1 (i7 9700k, 32ram, 1tb m2 + 512 m2, rtx2080). I have tried installing Kubuntu but so far haven't got anywhere. After installing kubuntu 21.04 all i get is a black screen. I am installing it on the 1tb drive, so it is seperate from windows
Things Ive tried so far
- disabling secure boot
- remaking another live boot
- using arch/popos/mint/artix(When using popos it wouldnt even boot into the liveboot)
- ensuring raid 0 is off (ahci is on)
- editing the grub config to add nomodeset
- editing the grub config to add like 10 other nosomething
- using acpi=strict
- not installing any propeietry software (so not a driver issue)
- not setting up luks
- trying to get into tty
- using recovery options via grub (loads kernel then gets stuck on loading initial ramdisk)
- trying again after removing the windows drive
- wiping the drive before running the installer
My bios version is 1.14.0
I cannot use legacy mode because the bios only allows uefi.
The drive definitely works because it had windows installed on it, which i cloned onto the smaller ssd.
If you need any other info i can provide
Thanks in advance
EDIT: After fiddling around for ages, i found that the issue was that i was running sudo apt upgrade every time i installed. After a long time spent fiddling around, i found the offending packages to be grub and shim. Not sure why they break, if anyone has any suggestions im opened to trying them. Also, installing nvidia drivers (440) worked perfectly fine. Sound and everything else is also working, only issue i have now is sleep.