I have one of those fancy keyboards with the extra media keys. For years, I more or less ignored them. Then my work got my a MacBook, and behold, I got spoiled. Now I want them to work when I'm using my desktop, too. (ubuntu 10.04 using XFCE)

So, how do I do that? I'm most interested in the play/pause button and the volume control buttons. I know how to set them to an application, but I don't know what the command for 'turn volume up' or 'pause banshee'.

~~ edit ~~

Note: I do not use xubuntu. I tried installing it, but found that adding xfce to ubuntu worked better me than xububtu did. (This happened back in the spring, and I don't remember specifically what my issues were)


Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts (in gnome)

For xfce I found this:

GNOME directly queries X11 for its media keys support, so you don't need to manually configure it. However, Xfce doesn't, and you'll have to manually get the keycodes and set the symlinks. This is actually kind of simple if you know how to do it. Here's how:


  • I do not have a preferences menu within system. I can get to application shortcuts via menu -> Settings -> xfce settings -> keyboard -> application shortcuts, but I don't know how to set one to adjust the volume from there. Nov 16 '10 at 21:58
  • Is there a way I can directly run the settings program you're referring to? What's the command that is being run by the menu choices you mention? Nov 16 '10 at 21:59
  • 1
    it's called gnome-keybinding-properties
    – sBlatt
    Nov 16 '10 at 22:13
  • That was what I needed (especially that link you just added) Thanks. (I'd upvote, but I don't have the rep yet) Nov 16 '10 at 22:30

I found in Settings Manager in the Startup options, in Advanced, there is two options, select Lanch Gnome Services on Startup, and almost done.

Now just log out and log in again, and ready

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.