I am facing issues with eye strain on Kubuntu 20.10 on a dual booted laptop(vostro 5401). This does not happen on windows 10. The issue also happened on other flavors before kubuntu like Ubuntu 20.04, kubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 20.10 and other distros like Linux mint20.1 and fedora 33.
I think this is an issue with intel drivers and not fonts as it also happens when playing a video. Still I tried disabling font hinting and changing it to full, I also tried disabling anti-aliasing, changing it to greyscale but it didn't work.
I also tried:
i915.enable_psr=0to the line in /etc/default/grub but it didn't work(https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-General/XPS-13-7390-Ubuntu-Screen-flickering/td-p/7430121)
- Adding this ppa(https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers) for updated graphics driver but that didn't work either.
- Changing distributions as mentioned above
- On Ubuntu 20.04, I tried the 5.8 hwe kernel, the 5.4 generic lts kernel and the 5.6 oem kernel but neither of them fixed the issue
- Since the issue doesn't happen on windows, I tried copying windows' icc color profile to linux and switching to that but that didn't fix the eye strain either.
- Tried changing refresh rate from 60 Hz to 48 Hz and to 56 Hz
- Tried changing compositor settings in kde(like switching to opengl 3.1, turning off vsync, changing scale method to smooth)
- Increasing and decreasing gamma through xgamma and through kde settings.
- Switching to darkmode, changing wallpaper,adjusting brightness, turning on nightmode(nightmode is off in windows).
- Switching to
intel-media-va-driver-non-freedriver instead of
Graphics part of
inxi -Fxz :
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G1 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX330] driver: nvidia v: 450.102.04 bus ID: 01:00.0 Device-3: Realtek Integrated_Webcam_HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus ID: 3-6:3 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (ICL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes