Linux: Ubuntu 20.04
Web browser: Firefox
Yesterday I was trying to use a website that most likely required Java. I was not sure if it was even installed, and - forgive my ignorance - I didnt even run "java -version" command in my Terminal.
I auomatically assumed it is not installed and did the following:
- Went on https://www.java.com/en/download/
- Downloaded from the link saying Linux x64
- Followed instructions: -- gained root privilages by typing "sudo -i" -- changed directory to /usr/ -- created folder "java": -- moved my downloaded "java" to that folder -- changed directory to /usr/java -- tar zxvf jre-8u281-linux-x64.tar.gz -- Checked if my Java was installed correctly:
- Terminal: java -version
- Output: openjdk version "11.0.9" 2020-10-20 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.9+11-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.9+11-Ubuntu-0ubuntu1.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)
- Checked my Java version by going on https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-java-installed
- Output: No Java is disabled or not installed in this browser
- I tried disabling ALL firefox add-ons that could interfere with Java functionality and restarted the browser/PC - did not change anything.
Question: Has anybody been in a similar situation and perhaps could help?