I've installed Kubuntu 20.04 on my 13" 2009 MacBook Pro (model identifier MacBook Pro 5.5). This model has an Nvidia graphic card (GeForce 9400M). The native display resolution is 1280 x 800.
When I use the Nvidia driver (package
nvidia-340), the KDE interface is ridiculously too big. I'm talking about the size of the desktop, widgets, window title bars, etc. This does not happen when I use the Nouveau driver (
I'd like to know how to fix that. I want to use the Nvidia driver because my external display flickers like crazy with the nouveau driver (that's a separate problem...)
If that is relevant, I'm booting using the EFI stub loader through rEFInd.
What I've tried:
- Booting through GRUB instead of the EFI stub loader
- Booting with
- Checking that the "global scaling" in the "Displays" section of the System Settings is at 100x
- Changing the Rendering engine in the "Compositor" section from "OpenGL 2.0" to "OpenGL 3.1" or "XRender"
What I haven't tried yet (should I?):
- Install another desktop manager and see if the problem persists
- Install another display manager and see if the problem persists
Here are the exact versions of the drivers (the only two drivers listed by
Package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau Version: 1:1.0.16-1 Package: nvidia-340 Version: 340.108-0ubuntu2