I would like Firefox to use the global menu on KDE Plasma 5.19 running on X11.
- The widget set for both GTK and KDE is Breeze.
- I am currently using Kubuntu 20.10, but also have machines running 18.04 and 20.04. Global menu does work on 18.04, but not 20.04 or 20.10.
- Existing questions on the topic are outdated, mostly related to issues with appmenu on Unity.
The global menu has never worked for me with Firefox. The global menu does work with other applications that have menus.
- GTK2: xournal
- GTK3: geany, geeqie
- KDE: Falkon, Konsole
- Others: Google Chrome, LibreOffice
The following potentially relevant services are running:
- Application menus daemon
- GNOME/GTK Settings Synchronization Service
The following do not work:
plasma-browser-integrationpackage and associated add-on.
Wayland. The global menu of GTK apps do not work in Wayland. Wayland also has too many other defects.
Restarting Firefox with a fresh profile.
Installing the following packages. Most of them were not necessary for other applications to use the global menu.
appmenu-gtk2-module appmenu-gtk3-module appmenu-gtk-module-common appmenu-registrar gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 gir1.2-dbusmenu-gtk-0.4 gir1.2-dbusmenu-gtk3-0.4 indicator-appmenu indicator-appmenu-tools libappindicator1 libappindicator3-1 libappmenu-gtk2-parser0 libappmenu-gtk3-parser0 libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libdbusmenu-gtk4 libdbusmenu-qt5-2 libdbusmenu-tools libindicator3-7 libindicator3-tools libindicator7
What needs to be done to get Firefox to use the global menus?