/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop in the past to use
firejail when running
firefox, but it seems like this was removed during an update.
How can I permanently open browsers in Firefox without needing to update .desktop files whenever they're updated?
.desktop files in
These files still exist, they're unchanged from when I created them months ago. The system just isn't picking them up for some reason, and seems to be prioritising the ones in
Some of this is redacted due to extraneous content (language specs, etc).
[Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Name=Firefox Web Browser Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer Exec=firejail firefox %u Terminal=false X-MultipleArgs=false Type=Application Icon=firefox Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser; MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall; StartupNotify=true Actions=new-window;new-private-window; [Desktop Action new-window] Name=Open a New Window Name[ar]=افتح نافذة جديدة Exec=firefox -new-window [Desktop Action new-private-window] Name=Open a New Private Window Exec=firefox -private-window
[Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Name=Brave Web Browser GenericName=Web Browser # Gnome and KDE 3 uses Comment. Comment=Access the Internet Exec=firejail /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable %U StartupNotify=true Terminal=false Icon=brave-browser Type=Application Categories=Network;WebBrowser; MimeType=application/pdf;application/rdf+xml;application/rss+xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xhtml_xml;application/xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;image/webp;text/html;text/xml;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https; Actions=new-window;new-private-window; [Desktop Action new-window] Name=New Window Exec=/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable [Desktop Action new-private-window] Name=New Incognito Window Exec=/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable --incognito
.desktop files in
They're identical to the ones in
I just added
firejail to the front of the
Exec command in each
.desktop file. These commands work fine when manually executed in the terminal.
Further debugging info
I think this may have started happening after I updated from Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS to Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I'm not sure, though.
I haven't changed anything besides updating system packages with
apt. I'm not aware of anything that could've caused this problem.
I know when it's working, because when it is, I can only access the
~/Downloads folder when uploading files in the browser. And if I'm running it from the command line, I'll get output from firejail.