I've been struggling to network my one Linux box (Ubuntu 18.04.4) with my Windows workgroup. Various things do work (see below), but nothing shows up under Windows Network in Ubuntu's file manager, and likewise the Ubuntu box does not show up on Windows. What crucial detail am I missing?
Ubuntu computer: Lenny, IP 192.168.0.61
- There’s a shared Public folder, with All permissions for everyone.
- Samba is running, with workgroup and public folder defined in smb.conf (testparm dump below).
Win10 computer: Tippy, IP 192.168.0.21
- Network discovery and File/Printer sharing are turned on for Private networks.
- Public folder sharing is turned on for All networks.
- IIS is running.
Router: Host mapping is setup for Tippy and Lenny.
- Tippy or Lenny can ping each other by name or IP.
- Web browser on Lenny can view pages on http://tippy
- The Ubuntu remote desktop Remmina works fine, connecting to Tippy by name.
What Doesn’t Work:
- Neither computer shows up in the other’s file manager, so I can’t see shared files.
- If I try to navigate to \lenny or \lenny\public on Win10 it shows Error code 0x80004005 (Unspecified error). The Windows troubleshooter says the remote device won't accept the connection. I'm not clear on whether installing samba was even necessary. Some articles just say right-click a folder and set it as shared, but that by itself didn't work so I tried installing samba.
I think all I did to smb.conf was add the workgroup name and public folder. Here is testparm:
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384) WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated Processing section "[printers]" Processing section "[print$]" Processing section "[public]" Loaded services file OK. Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions # Global parameters [global] bind interfaces only = Yes dns proxy = No interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m map to guest = Bad User max log size = 1000 obey pam restrictions = Yes pam password change = Yes panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* . passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u server role = standalone server server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu) syslog = 0 unix password sync = Yes usershare allow guests = Yes workgroup = CASTLE idmap config * : backend = tdb [printers] browseable = No comment = All Printers create mask = 0700 path = /var/spool/samba printable = Yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /var/lib/samba/printers [public] force create mode = 0777 force directory mode = 0777 force user = nobody guest ok = Yes guest only = Yes path = /samba/public read only = No