I've been happily running a couple of Windows 10 VMs on QEMU-KVM with GPU Passthrough for the last few years with little issue. A few days ago however (21 May 2020) both my VMs started crashing on start-up.
If I boot Windows in safe mode - it works. If I boot with the Windows GPU drivers disabled - it works. As soon as install or enable the driver it crashes (blank screen, VM uses 100% CPU, can't toggle num lock on keyboard) and after a few seconds the VM reboots.
Anyone had similar issues or know how I can further troubleshoot?
- MB: GA-X99P-SLI
- CPU: i7-6850K
- RAM: 32GB
- Host GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT
- Guest GPUs x2: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1060 6GB
- Disk: Samsung 950 PRO NVMe 512GB
- Ubuntu Server 18.04/20.04
- qemu-kvm 2.11/4.2
- Windows 10 x64 1909
Things I've Tried
- Although unlikely, as both VMs started crashing at the same time, I rolled back several Windows updates
- Tried old drivers, windows update drivers, and the latest Nvidia drivers
- This coincided with an apt upgrade so I tried rolling back but I couldn't (easily) as I'd cleaned my cache (d'oh!!) and the packages weren't available
- There's no errors or warnings in Windows events
- There's no errors or warnings in /var/log/libvirt/qemu
- All GPUs run fine together on bare metal
- Rebuilt everything with latest LTS version of Ubuntu (20.04) and related qemu-kvm (4.2)
- Switched VMs from i440 to Q35