Best compromise I've found is installing Meet as a Progressive Web App:
At least then you can run it as a separate app to your browser.
To install the PWA, Chrome doesn’t need to be your default browser, but Chrome must be open.
- On your computer, go to meet.google.com.
- At the top right of your browser, in the URL bar, click Install.
- The Meet app appears in your app dock.
To open it from the app dock:
- Click the Meet app.
- Join or create a meeting.
From a browser on your computer:
- Go to meet.google.com or a meeting green room.
- In the browser bar, tap Open app .
- Select Google Meet and then Open.
Tip: When you join a meeting from a Calendar event, you’re taken to the meeting green room. From the browser bar, open the app.