I'm having a lot of difficulty connecting from an ubuntu 18.04 laptop to a hotspot setup on my ubuntu 18.04 desktop.
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 32)
01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
I tried the default settings:
- go into wifi settings
- choose turn on wifi hotspot
- select the wifi network on laptop
- enter password shown as "password" on desktop
I wait a few seconds and I see full bars so I guess it's physically connected in some way, then I get a pop up "Activation of network connection failed".
- changing Ad-Hoc to Hotspot
- turning off the password
- changing the password to passphrase (not Hex or Ascii)
- manually entering the IPv4 connection info for the connection on the laptop as in this post ... I skipped the other answer cos I don't think I want P2P
The laptop can connect fine to my house wifi.
nmcli device wifi hotspot ssid TESTING password 12345678from the Desktop