0

I have recently updated (doing a "partial upgrade") when prompted on my Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS and now in all browsers when I access anything, even just do a search, there is a delay of many seconds (mostly 20-30). It's driving my mad!

It's not DNS related, since I can use ping or dig and get immediate responses. The delayed behaviour is in firefox, chrome, brave and gab browsers. So it's something in the network stack I assume, but I don't even know where to begin.

/var/log/syslog shows nothing that seems to be causing this.

A problem I noticed in syslog:

Feb 20 13:07:56 roland-zenbook org.gnome.Shell.desktop[5218]: [6130:6134:0220/130756.669614:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(941)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -200

After disabling ipv6, the error is not in the log any more, but the response is still not as normal.

Any suggestions, hunches or magics I could try? :-)

EDIT: I have since upgrade my kernel to 5.3.0-40 and re-installed the Nvidia proprietary driver version 435. I'm currently running the Intel mode on my laptop, since the Nvidia mode freezes just after the grub2 boot menu.

I also installed Lubuntu/LXDE and it makes no difference, so the graphical environment I choose is not causing this.

I have now retested the browser and Firefox does not have the lag any more. The Chrome-based browsers however do. (Chromium, Chrome and Brave). I have disabled hardware acceleration in their configs, but it makes no difference.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.