This sort of crash is typically due to the fact that proprietary NVidia drivers are missing during installation. I would install Ubuntu with
nomodeset which tells it to not load any incompatible video drivers. To do that
- Insert the Ubuntu 19.04 or 18.04 USB into the computer.
- As soon as it boots, press up or down arrow on your keyboard to bring up the Grub menu, then select English.
- At the Grub Menu, press F6 and scroll down to where it says
- Press Enter so there is an
X next to it, then press Esc to exit the menu.
- Then proceed to install Ubuntu.
After Ubuntu is fully installed, then you can install the driver for your card. As far as I understand, the RTX 2070 super is supported in NVidia drivers 430+. To install it, run the following command.
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall && sudo reboot