I'm using Windows working on a new job and it can't handle all the things I need to run simultaneously. Although, I re-installed and cleaned up Windows to the bare minimum, de-bloated it, optimized for performance instead of appearance and changed to an SSD (Solid-State Drive), it still lags while I'm trying to work. It sometimes lags even when trying to watch a YouTube video. It's an older computer (2010-launched CPU), but I've done everything I could for both software and hardware related optimizations to make it faster.
In order to determine if Ubuntu would be faster than Windows or otherwise, I have described two parameters as follows.
(a) The tasks I need to run. These are the tasks I need to run simultaneously in order to do my job:
- Firefox web browser, with 1 tab open which auto-refreshes every 30 seconds using the "Tab Reloader" extension.
- Chrome web browser, with about 10 tabs open (Nothing too demanding running in the tabs. I have things open like Gmail, Google Sheet, Excel Online sheet, Pagerduty webpage, and 3~4 other pages with simple text and web forms that I use to enter information and other simple tasks).
- Viber for Windows - which I use constantly for VoIP calls
- Slack for Windows - which I use for text chats (No voice, no video)
- NTP Time Zone Clock for Windows - which I use to check the time in different time zones
- I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse (with the USB receiver)
- I use a Logitech wireless headset (with a USB receiver)
(b) My machine specifications.
Windows edition: Windows 10 Home
Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10 GHz 2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display
Description: Disk drive
Model: Mercury Electra 6G SSD
Size: 232.88 GB (250,056,737,280 bytes)
Media Type: Fixed hard disk
Partition: Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size: 549.00 MB (575,668,224 bytes)
Partition: Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size: 231.72 GB (248,810,183,168 bytes)
Partition: Disk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size: 640.00 MB (671,088,640 bytes)
Question: If I install Ubuntu on my machine as described above, can I do my job faster and without lagging? (also, do all those things I am using exist for Ubuntu?)
Please help me understand if I can do all those task on my machine as described above. I'm not techie enough to understand my machine specifications and handle with ease. With my current system, I'm struggling with speed and lagging. I would appreciate if I could get a simple answer.