The display looks a bit stretched and there is a system pop-up that says something like "Resolution Notice: for best quality change resolution to 1920 x 1080" but in Monitor Preferences the only choices in the Resolution drop-down are 1600 x 1200 (the current setting), 1280 x 1024, and less (which all look worse). The monitor preferences calls the Monitor "unknown," the monitor is a ViewSonic VX2450WM, and the PC is an HP p7-1120.

  • Can you mention how have you connected your monitor? (VGA or HDMI) – Vibhav Pant Mar 26 '12 at 14:32
  • The connection is VGA. I also tried the HDMI connection which was not as good so I went back to VGA. – jacknad Mar 27 '12 at 13:31

English: What is your video card? He tried to make the driver update, you may need to install the manufacturer-supplied ...

Portuguese: Qual a sua placa de video? Tentou efetuar a atualização do driver, talvez seja necessário instalar o fornecido pelo fabricante...

|improve this answer|||||
  • The only thing it says in HP p7-1120 specifications under Graphics is Intel HD Graphics. – jacknad Mar 28 '12 at 18:42
  • Run the following command "lspci |grep VGA" and post the result. He will bring information about your video card that can assist in identifying the driver. I believe the chipset on your video card is the Sandy Bridge processor is seeing that his intel i3. – Glauber Cardoso Mar 28 '12 at 20:04
  • 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) – jacknad Mar 28 '12 at 20:43
  • Your questions provided the clue as to what to look for so I'll award bounty but have to wait till tomorrow. Found answer that worked after sandy bridge ubuntu 10.04 search here. – jacknad Mar 28 '12 at 21:02
  • Original source for solution: Glasens Blog. – jacknad Mar 28 '12 at 21:08

you can use jupiter install it like so

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/jupiter
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jupiter

logout and back in again and then on the top right corner you will have a new icon select
it and go to screen resolution and select your preferred resolution

this is the only app i use to change the resolution when needed.(I never used anything else)
hope this works for you

|improve this answer|||||

You can use the xorg-edgers repository of experimental drivers to update the drivers for your video card. Because the drivers are not guaranteed the experimental operation, can solve problems but also created new problems, but you sure are using the latest release of the same.

I own a laptop with this graphics card and recently updated the drivers for this repository, where there was no problem. If you want to perform the update run the command "sudo apt-add-repository ppa: xorg-edgers/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade-y" and restart your computer. After the restart the driver will be updated.

Your video card also has the technology SNA - Sandy Bridge New Acceleration Architecture that improves some acceleration features. After updating the driver to use this feature enter the command "sudo apt-add-repository ppa: sarvatt / sna-intel && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade-y"

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.