I have a slightly older HP ProBook Laptop with integrated Intel graphics running Ubuntu 18.04 on kernel 4.19.0 and the external screen (DisplayPort connection) gets tearing and then goes dark for a second and then comes back. It keeps doing this over and over again and it's impossible to do any work on it. Things that stop this from happening:
- Lowering the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900
- Switching to console mode
This issue does not affect the integrated display.
Things that I have tried that have not had any effect:
- Increasing the amount of video memory in the BIOS
/etc/sysctl.conf(from default of 60)
- Installing and upgrading
- Trying different environments (same problem with Unity, Wayland, Gnome, etc.)
- Plugging the monitor directly into the laptop or via docking station
- Swapping out monitors entirely
"TearFree" "true"to the
- Upgrading kernel to 4.19.60
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.