How to disallow Ubuntu to upgrade from like 11.10 to 12.04?

I know that its your wish if you want to upgrade, but I don't want the message in update manager that says a new release is available to get displayed.

All help will be appreciated


5 Answers 5


Open the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades with your favorite text editor, ie:

sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

enter image description here

Change the Prompt= line from Prompt=foo_setting to Prompt=never.

If you want a graphical way of doing it open the Ubuntu Software Center and under Edit > Software Sources > Updates you will find a Notify me of a new Ubuntu version option, from the drop box select Never.

enter image description here

  • Thanks a lot! Can you also tell me how'd you change the terminal background? Pretty cool I must say! :)
    – user51447
    Mar 25, 2012 at 15:36
  • @user51447 Edit > Profile Preferences > Colors and Edit > Profile Preferences > Background will allow you to config what you need in gnome-terminal. If the answer works please use the check green mark next to the up and down vote to mark is answered. Mar 25, 2012 at 15:40
  • If motd has already started mentioning an update available on login, do: sudo dpkg-reconfigure ubuntu-release-upgrader-core then sudo update-motd to force it to update to this change.
    – Aria
    Nov 4, 2021 at 17:20

Or just use sed! We just added this to our setup script to avoid our users from borking their own systems by doing upgrades.

sudo sed -i 's/Prompt=.*/Prompt=never/' /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

You can also just disable checking altogether by doing:

apt-get remove ubuntu-release-upgrader-core

To stop Ubuntu nagging you:

nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

Change Prompt=normal to Prompt=never:

To exit nano press the combination CTRL + X and then answer to the question of saving changes with Y.


On newer versions of Ubuntu, using the GUI, you should see an option

Notify me of a new Ubuntu version, therein select Never

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .