Following upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04 I find the desktop is unusable. Following login I note the following:
- No items show up in the Dash-to-Dock dock on the left side except for the square with nine dots (task drawer?) Clicking on it does nothing.
- Moving the mouse cursor to the upper left corner does not bring up the overview.
- Clicking on the upper left corner takes me back to the login screen.
This works for all logins I have tried:
- Gnome on Xorg
- Ubuntu on Xorg
I suppose some configuration item or shell extension is causing this. Before the upgrade I fully updated 18.10 but I have shell extensions installed through extensions.gnome.org and did not think to check them for updates. (The software manager did pop up a message about not being able to contact the gnome shell extensions site.)
Is there any benefit to reporting this as a bug before I move on to resolve it?
Eventually I'll try disabling shell extensions and next configuration files. At worst I'll have a go with XFCE and at worst, nuke and repave.
If I should file a bug, what's the best way (considering I cannot run any GUI programs.)
If it helps, I've captured a bit of /var/log/syslog that may reflect the issue and put at https://pastebin.com/UwdegT7Q. The salient line might be:
Jun 4 08:47:34 karakum gnome-shell: Connection to xwayland lost
Edit: Extensions I had installed were
hbarta@karakum:~/Downloads$ ls -l extensions total 36 drwxrwxr-x 3 hbarta hbarta 4096 Apr 13 10:28 email@example.com drwxrwxr-x 2 hbarta hbarta 4096 Jan 31 21:08 firstname.lastname@example.org drwxrwxr-x 4 hbarta hbarta 4096 Apr 13 10:34 email@example.com drwxrwxr-x 5 hbarta hbarta 4096 Mar 27 07:45 firstname.lastname@example.org drwxrwxr-x 5 hbarta hbarta 4096 Feb 4 15:20 multi-monitors-add-on@spin83 drwxrwxr-x 4 hbarta hbarta 4096 Feb 4 15:21 email@example.com drwxrwxr-x 3 hbarta hbarta 4096 Apr 13 10:29 firstname.lastname@example.org drwxrwxr-x 3 hbarta hbarta 4096 Jan 30 19:23 email@example.com drwxrwxr-x 2 hbarta hbarta 4096 Jan 30 19:20 firstname.lastname@example.org hbarta@karakum:~/Downloads$
Moving all of them to a different location has resolved the issue.