sudo dkms remove r8168/8.046.00 -k 4.18.0-17-generic
In order to fix unstable LAN connection. Since then my laptop is not detecting LAN. In the meanwhile, I have upgraded to 19.04 and hope that the issue is resolved. How do I get back LAN. I tried
sudo dkms add r8168/8.046.00 -k 4.18.0-17-generic , but it did not work.
sudo dkms add r8168/8.046.00 -k 5.0.0-13-generic I get Error! DKMS tree already contains: r8168-8.046.00.
When I try
sudo dkms remove r8168/8.046.00 -k 5.0.0-13-generic I get Error! There is no instance of r8168 8.046.00.
Each Ubuntu version uses a different kernel chain. After upgrading to Ubuntu version 19.04 your kernel version changed. To find the new version number type
uname -r. Then use that in your command. For example:
$ uname -r 4.14.110-0414110-generic $ sudo dkms add r8168/8.046.00 -k 4.14.110-0414110-generic
dkms driver for the
sudo apt update sudo apt install --reinstall r8168-dkms
You may not need
dkms RTL8168 driver add on with version 5.0 kernel. The RTL8169 driver has been improved in this kernel version as per Linux Kernel 5.0 Released! Check Out The New Features:
Here are some of the major new changes in Kernel 5.0:
- AMD Radeon FreeSync support
- Support for a new VegaM
- NVIDIA Xavier display support
- Continued work on Intel Icelake Gen11 graphics
- Initial support for the NXP i.MX8 SoCs
- Support for the Allwinner T3, Qualcomm QCS404, and NXP Layerscape LX2160A
- Intel VT-d Scalable Mode support for Scalable I/O Virtualization
- New Intel Stratix 10 FPGA drivers
- Fixes for F2FS, EXT4 and XFS
- Btrfs file-system restores support for swap files
- Fscrypt Adiantum support for helping with fast data encryption on low-end hardware. This replaces the infamous Speck algorithm by NSA.
- Realtek R8169 driver improvements
- Logitech High Resolution Scrolling support
- Raspberry Pi Touchscreen driver
- x86 laptop drivers improvement
- Thunderbolt security enhancement
- Support for the Chameleon96 Intel FPGA board
- Improved power management
The RTL8168 driver has been manually installed by many users because of RTL8169 flaws for their network cards.