What is the correct Juju charm for Kubernetes?
There are two main choices for running Kubernetes under Juju:
kubernetes-core is a minimalist installation that's typically faster. It's perfect for getting started with k8s.
canonical-kubernetes is the Charmed Distribution of Kubernetes and suitable for production workloads.
What version of the charm is used when I run
Juju will attempt to resolve the most recent charm or bundle. To identify which version of the charm or bundle is current, you can visit the charm store or use the command-line:
juju deploy canonical-kubernetes --dry-run
If you don't trust
--dry-run for whatever reason, you could spin up a local test using LXD, then deploy the charm there:
juju bootstrap localhost k8s
juju deploy canonical-kubernetes
You'll then see something similar to the following:
Located bundle "cs:bundle/canonical-kubernetes-499"
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/easyrsa-235
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/etcd-415
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/flannel-404
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/kubeapi-load-balancer-628
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/kubernetes-master-654
Resolving charm: cs:~containers/kubernetes-worker-519
- upload charm cs:~containers/easyrsa-235 for series bionic
- deploy application easyrsa on bionic using cs:~containers/easyrsa-235
added resource easyrsa
- set annotations for easyrsa
- upload charm cs:~containers/etcd-415 for series bionic
- deploy application etcd on bionic using cs:~containers/etcd-415
added resource etcd
added resource snapshot
- set annotations for etcd
- upload charm cs:~containers/flannel-404 for series bionic
- deploy application flannel on bionic using cs:~containers/flannel-404
added resource flannel-amd64
added resource flannel-arm64
added resource flannel-s390x
- set annotations for flannel
Deploy of bundle completed.