I have tried to update ubuntu machine from 184.108.40.206 to 18.0.4 (by following the standard procedure to run do-release-upgrade). Despite several attempts post upgrade machine does not boot up. A black screen keeps blinking after UTMP service started.
Here is what I have tried:
- Updated the owner of .Xuathority and .ICEAuthority.
- Verified that tmp has enough permissions.
- Uncomment WayLand in custom.conf under /etc/gdm3/ so that Xorg is used instead of wayland
- Switched from gdm3 to lightdm.
I noticed a different issue - Ubuntu boots till login. Post entering the credentials system comes back to login window. I tried couple of suggestions online to fix this, but none of the solutions solved problem.
I tried to install Ubuntu with the following virtual machine applications:
- VMware Fusion for Mac - 11.0.2
- VMware ESXi - 6.5
Ensured that the computer has the minimum configuration suggested for Ubuntu 18.04.