Possible Duplicate:
How to convert Wubi install into regular install?

I am quite new to Ubuntu and I would like to know how to change from a ubuntu-windows dual boot to a single boot of ubuntu. I would also like to increase the space in the ubuntu partition. Please explain this in easy to understand steps, as I am new to ubuntu.

marked as duplicate by mikewhatever, Jorge Castro, fossfreedom Mar 14 '12 at 13:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


This can be done (as the various available duplicates will point out) but unless there's been a major development that I haven't yet seen, it's definitely not something for a beginner.

I would suggest a new install from CD/USB alongside your existing Windows installation (proper dual-boot, not Wubi) and after you've copied out all the files you want to keep, you can minimise the space Windows takes up or get rid of it altogether.

I say this for two reasons:

  • Installing Ubuntu from scratch takes very little time and has less chance to mess everything up.
  • Converting the Wubi soft-partition to a real one and installing a bootloader (which you'll have to if you migrate your Wubi install) is very technical and takes a long time in itself.

Unfortunatly, you can not do this because you have a WUBI installation of ubuntu. What this means is that:

  • WUBI installation depends on Windows OS existence
  • WUBI installation of Ubuntu is just like a software installation in windows
  • WUBI installation of Ubuntu is made in a big file inside windows

For a single Ubuntu boot you will need:

  • Backup your files (in external hard disk)
  • Download Ubuntu 11.10
  • Burn it on a CD or USB
  • Boot from CD or USB
  • Select in installation mode "Remove Windows and install only Ubuntu" The link here is self explanatory : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download Just follow the 4 steps

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.